The History of the Livermore Seagrave


Three years after St Michaels’ Church burned to the ground, the Livermore City Board
of Trustees initiated an action to purchase a new fire truck. The Board minutes of
September 12,1919 recorded the acceptance of Resolution No. 334 resolving that the
City wished to purchase a combination fire engine and hose car capable of pumping
three hundred to six hundred gallons per minute. One month later bids were received
from Philip Coil, Inc, Schnerr & Scheeline, Seagrave, and American La France.

On November 17, 1919 the Board authorized the purchase of the highest capacity fire
truck from Seagrave Fire Apparatus Company, of Columbus, Ohio. Somewhat short
on funds, the city issued municipal bonds for $10,000, with the an additional $750 of
the purchase price apparently coming from the city cash reserves.

The Seagrave Model 66, S/N 25055, was delivered in August of 1920, and quickly
placed into service. It was the city’s first pumper truck, and likely fought every major
fire of the era for the 1920’s hay warehouse blazes to the 1940’s Fifth Street School

The Seagrave was successfully used from 1920 through the mid-1950’s. The photograph
below shows the firetruck in 1951 parked along a railroad track, apparently ready for service. Note the solid robber spoked wheels of the original truck had been replaced by pneumatic tires with dual wheels at the back.

The retired Seagrave remained stored outside and was finally moved to the Livermore
Heritage Guild Duarte Garage in the 1985 time period. There it remained until
2008 when the Seagrave Restoration Project began.