| HOME | PREVIOUS |  

DOCUMENTS: SERVICES

These on-line achives are made available for personal, educational, and scholarly purposes.

For other materials, call (925) 449-9927, e-mail lhg@lhg.org, or better yet visit us at 2155 Third Street in Livermore.

Copyright holders retain their rights. Do not republish or repost elsewhere without permission.

DOCUMENT
DESCRIPTION
The challenge of providing water services to a growing community 130 years ago. The article appeared in the MARCH 2005 Newsletter. By Gary Drummond
 

A history in our MAY 2007 Newsletter. Little did the people in Murray Township realize what the future would bring when in July 1899 the Herald reported, "It is rumored that the valley is soon to have an automobile. Mrs. [Phoebe] Hearst is said to have purchased one; if true, ours will be the first rural community in the state to have one of the marvelous vehicles." In September of that same year, a local doctor ordered an automobile from the Best Works in San Leandro, which previously had primarily manu­factured threshing machines. It was the beginning of a social revolution. By Gary Drummond
 

A history of telephone service in Livermore as appeared in the JANUARY 2005 Newsletter. By Gary Drummond
 
1929 TELEPHONE DIRECTORY
12 pages - PDF format

Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Telephone Directory - November 1929:

Page 01 - Cover
Page 02 - How to use the telephone
Page 03 - How to make local phone calls
Page 04 - How to make out-of-town calls
Page 05 - Rates to some Pacific Coast points
Page 06 - Livermore Phone Numbers (Allen to Croak)
Page 07 - Livermore Phone Numbers (Croce to Judson)
Page 08 - Livermore Phone Numbers (Judson to Poultry)
Page 09 - Livermore Phone Numbers (Power to Windler)
Page 10 - Pleasanton Phone Numbers (Amador to Kruse)
Page 11 - Pleasanton Phone Numbers (Kruse to Zwisler)
Page 12 - Sunol Phone Numbers (Apperson to Wieking)